Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Leche flan, also known as cream caramel or caramel custard, is one of the most popular desserts in the Philippines. It is especially popular during special celebrations such as fiestas, New Year and Christmas.
1 can (390g) evaporated milk
1 can (390g) condensed milk
10 egg yolks
1 tsp of lemon essence (or vanilla extract).
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
- Add the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for several minutes until the sugar caramelizes.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminium mould or moulds. In Philippines these are available in a variety of shapes such as circular, oval, and square.
- In a separate bowl add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla and beat together. Pour this mixture carefully over the caramel in the mould(s). The combined ingredients in the mould(s) should now be 1 to 1 1/4 inches deep.
- Cover the mould(s) with aluminum foil. Steam or bake for 45 minutes. If baking, pre-heat the oven to 370 degrees and place the mould(s) in a larger pan half-filled with hot water.
- To test when Leche Flan is cooked insert and remove a knife. If it comes out clean the Leche Flan is cooked.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
Run a knife around the edge of the mould to free up the Leche Flan. Place a plate on top of the mould then turn everything upside down quickly so that the golden caramel is on top.